Friday, November 28, 2014

As Quoted By The Atlantic: "If You Keep Texting, Your Head Will Fall Off"

Image sourced from The Atlantic

Millions of us in the modern technological era using cell phones, tablets, and whatnot on a daily basis, are spawning the latest “epidemic” to hit the medical community: 'text neck'. According to recent reports from New York spinal surgeon, Dr. Hansard, flexing your neck (such as looking at your phone), severely increases the pressure on the cervical spine. Over time, the weight of your noggin, combined with this increased pressure, can lead to degeneration of spinal discs and other complications. Severity of the disease may even lead to surgery!

News of this recent "break-through" has spread like wildfire throughout the news community, as it certainly is a peak worthy story. I mean, who really wants their head to fall off?! However, closer examination to Dr. Hansard’s claims has revealed several new articles from respected neurosurgeons who refute these claims. Biggest lesson learned from reading that headline: Don’t take anything at face value.


In my opinion however, the best thing that has come out of this article and new topic of debate for us technology users, is for people to be more cognizant to their spatial surroundings when utilizing the technology of today. Look around at any public place and take notice of how many of us are mindlessly wandering around staring into the twittersphere or into Facebookland. Maybe the biggest “epidemic” that we need to change is by starting at the root pattern of behavior and distancing ourselves from our said technologies. Also, performing anything for lengthy periods of time outside the norm probably isn't the best thing for our bodies. Your body (and head) can thank me later.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nassim,
    I was thinking the exact same thing as you. I feel more pain in my neck after looking down for countless hours studying. I had to get a massage to take away my headache and neck pain. I would think there would be an even more increase of pressure on the cervical spine as compared to texting. I wonder if there are studies out there that have observed students to see how their spines change overtime due to studying? I also wonder if there positions for studying that would relieve the pressure on your neck? When my neck gets tired from looking down, I try laying on my stomach and studying...But I can only study in this position for so long. I found this article discussing the ideal studying posture. Maybe I should try out their suggestions...

    http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/posture_study_habits/posture_study_habits.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this was definitely an interesting take on the modern technology, I have heard about a lot of negative connotations with technology (especially cell phones) including the position of being hunched over could increased a person's possibility of kyphosis. However I have never heard that the position of looking at your phone could make your head fall off!

    I would think the same position (with your head facing down) is similar to reading a book. Did Dr. Hansard mention anything about this? While technology (especially cell phones) might increase the amount of time people spend in this position, I would like to see data about people who read a lot in this position, if there is a significant increase in pressure and degeneration of spinal discs.

    Being in the graduate program, I constantly feel I am in this position while reading textbooks, looking over notes, etc. It would be interesting to see some follow up data.

    I found this article about screen monitors and the positions people preferred, which was mid level, and the visual and musculoskeletal strain

    doi: 10.1518/001872001775992480

    ReplyDelete