Thursday, November 27, 2014

One way to lure HIV-1 from its hiding place.

It is thought that the latent reservoir contributes to the persistence of HIV-1 and blunts the overall potential of highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART).  Scientist believe that new pharmacological interventions, such as a Protein Kinase C (PKC) activators called Prostratin, can be incorporated into a two-step strategy in which the elusive HIV reservoir is coaxed into its bioactive form, and then targeted by HAART (Mbonye and Karn 2011).

When Prostratin binds to the N-terminus of a muscurinic 1 receptor, it induces a conformational change in the receptor that interacts with the G-coupled protein and leads to the dissociation of the a-subunit (Boron and Boulpaep 2011).  The a-subunit then activates the intracellular enzyme phospholipase C into its catalytically active form.  Phospholipase C can then cleave a normal phospholipids embedded in the lipid membrane of the T cell called PIP2 into inositoltrisphosphate (IP3) and diacylglycerol (DAG) products (Boron and Boulpaep 2011).  IP3 is a molecule that is able to open intracellular calcium stores and an increase concentration of Ca2+, which increases the concentration of activated PKC (Figure 1).


Figure 1. This figure illustrates part one of a complicated signaling cascade that is elicited when Prostratin, a ligand mimetic, is bound to a G-Protein Coupled Receptor. The release of intracellular calcium ions from the endoplasmic reticulum increases the concentration of activated PKC.  Activated PKC can then activate Nf-kB.    

Prostratin elicits this PKC signaling pathway and activates Nf-kB.  Active Nf-kB in CD4+ T cells helps to promote proviral transcription. By increasing the concentration of active PKC, there is more of a capacity to phosphorylate IkB kinase, which in turn phosphorylates Inhibitor of Kappa B Alpha (IkBa) (Mbonye and Karn 2011).  IkBa is an inhibitory protein that masks the nuclear localization signal (NLS) of p50/p56 heterodimer form of NF-kB. The heterodimer form of NF-kB serves as a transcriptional activator and binds to NF-kB response element on the promoter region of the provirus and recruits chromatin remodeling machinery.  This machinery disassociates the viral DNA from a histone protein called Nuc-1 and liberates the promoter region for transcription (Mbonye and Karn 2011).

PKC activators ultimately antagonizes HIV latency and serves as a tool to reactivate HIV.  Although there are multiple ways HIV maintains latency, by developing more and more pharmacological strategies to liberate quiescent HIV, scientist hope to potentiate HAART to a curative agent.


AIDS Research Alliance. 2014. Prostratin: a Potential Cure Strategy. [Internet]. Available from: aidsresearch.org/cure-research/prostratin/

Boron WF, Boulpaep EL. 2011. Medical Physiology. 2nd ed. New York: Saunders.


Mobonye U, Karn J. 2011. Control of HIV Latency by Epigenetic and Non-Epigenetic Mechanisms. National Institutes of Health Online. [Internet]. Available from: www.retrovirology.com/content/6/1/111 .

7 comments:

  1. When reading this the first thing I thought was, "don't poke the bear." I am not that familiar with the highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART). I am curious as to its effectiveness in treating the active HIV-1 virus. It seems to me that by activating this cascade you could take someone who has HIV and turn that into full blown AIDS. If someone has latent HIV and is causing them no adverse side effects why activate the virus. This is similar to anyone who has had the chicken pox. We are all carriers of the latent virus, it is not bothering us or causing us any adverse side effects. Why then would I try to activate it and give myself shingles? In an attempt to rid my self of the virus.I understand that HIV is a serious virus and a cure is needed but this method does not seem like the best one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
      years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
      lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
      waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
      man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
      unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
      prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
      end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
      went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
      it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
      friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
      was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
      want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
      email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
      is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
      thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
      for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
      +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey James, I do have to say that I whole-heartedly support you impressive use of “old-man phrase.” Poke the bear…haha.

    On another note, yes you are quite right, reactivating HIV is very risky and I initially was on board with your train of thought. I am very interested in the subject and plan to expand on it in my project this year.

    So here is the skinny.

    The International AIDS Conference this year dedicated a whole workshop on reactivating the latent virus. Undoubtedly, perfecting a pharmacological strategy that strategically liberates HIV will have its failures in adapting research to human models. I am aware and empathize with the potential losses. But like any scientific stride, there is risk involved, but it is not my life in stake.

    Here’s what is clear and what is presented at the conference. HAART has restructured the playing field since 1996. Very strong empirical evidence suggests that the only curative obstacle is the latent reservoir.

    Here are figures from the conference, which were used to support this :
    There is a dramatic graph here that i can't post in a reply, annoying but here is the powerpoint it is on, you'll see it. It shows pre and post HAART eras. http://pag.aids2014.org/session.aspx?s=1963#6
    The link all the PPTs are here:
    http://pag.aids2014.org/session.aspx?s=1963

    In short, there has been multiple case studies that have shown that HIV can be cured (in the short term) by HAART if there is no latent reservoirs. The problem is scientist, due to the delicate nature of this subject matter, have not developed a strategy to make the cure indefinite. One specific case, “the Mississippi baby” illustrated that a child who is initially targeted by HAART before they develop memory T cells was cured for years. She stopped treatment because it was presented side effects. They believe that the treatment was started a bit two late and a small memory did occur. The conference suggests that even if this does occur, drugs that reactivate the latent reservoir can eliminate HIV. There are a few other drugs that I did not expand on here, as it is 400 words, but keep in mind, a cocktail, the right cocktail may potentiate HAART as a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day My Name is augusta bjorl i am here to share a great testimony of my life i was cure from HIV by a Doctor Name DR CUBA i have been HIV for 5 year i saw doctor Email on the internet so i contact him and i explain to him i follow up the instruction behold 6 days later after taking the cure i went for a HIV text to my surprise it was Negative my family doctor was surprise my husband who abandon me was surprise my brother if you no that you are positive please i will advise you to contact him now and see for your self his Email is drcubatemple@gmail.com why is website is......[ www.dr-cubatemple.webs.com] and also you can contact on whatsapp +2347038965900

    ReplyDelete
  5. All thanks to Dr. Ojie the great herbal healer for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of herpes since 2017 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the herpes out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for herpes i saw a comment about Dr.Ojie ,how he cured herpes with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and miraculously i was cured from herpes , thank you dr Ojie you can also contact him on doctorojie1@yahoo.com or Whatsapp or call +2349015357322 Doctor Ojie can cure the following diseases :: Kidney failure ,Herpes1/2, CANCER, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Hepatitis A/B, chronic pancreatitis, Emphysema, COPD (Chronic , Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), asthma, Acute angle-closure Glaucoma, Diabetes, CHRONIC PANCREATITIS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday.This disease started to circulate all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago I came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr. Silver and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so I wrote to Dr. Silver telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr. assured me that I have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if I have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr. Silver (drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com) sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends!!! with your lovely Email Address ( drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com you can contact him also on whatsapp +2348120513902

    ReplyDelete